Thursday 13 December 2018

Audience Theory: Effects debate sheet

1)
Do you play violent video games and/or watch violent films? Are you violent in 'real life'?

I don't play violent video games but I do watch a lot of action films with violence in it. I don't see myself as violent in 'real life' either.

Do you ever see a product advertised on TV or on the internet and decide you want to buy it?

Yes, especially as I am now into cardistry, I watch a lot of videos on card tricks and deck reviews where YouTube sells off this information and I get a lot of card adverts on the side of websites. When I do see it, I search it up, look at the design and if I like it, I would want to buy it.

Have you ever seen a documentary which has drawn your attention to an issue which you now feel strongly about?

I don't watch many documentaries because I am not that interested in them. I have watched a few about schools and education, more about how people are taught. This has really gotten me to think about the education system and how I feel teachers should teach in schools.

2)

  • Direct effect theories
  • Diffusion theories
  • Indirect effect theories
  • The pluralist approach
3)
  • Child's play; The murder of Jamie Bulger
  • Marilyn Manson: Columbine High School Shootings
  • Natural Born Killers; Murders committed by romantically involved couples
4)

The Columbine Massacre in 1999 was a school shooting that took place on April 20, 1999 at Columbine High School. On that day, 21 people were injured and 13 people lost their lives. The plan was planned two years ahead of time. After this incident, there were a few copycat incidents. They had a habit of playing violent games, they were exposed to online echo chambers, they loved listening to Marilyn Manson's angst heavy mental music which were all reasons the media said was the cause. Another aspect to their violent actions later on in the future. 

5)
  • Marilyn Manson's music they always listened to
  • The alienation felt by teenagers who felt like outsiders
  • The acceptance of gun ownership
  • Living in a less socially and economically developed area
  • Exposure to incorrect and harmful content is increasing as it is becoming more and more easily accessed for them
6)
Gerbner's cultivation theory suggests that when someone is constantly exposed to a certain side of one argument, it becomes normal for them meaning they instantly accept what they have read with no chance of even thinking out both sides of the argument.

7)

The title of the front page is 'under-5s glued to screens 4 hours each day'. There is an emphasis on the phrase each day showing that time spent online isn't occasionally but a continuous day to day routine. This supports the cultivation theory as they are trying to portray young children as being too exposed to the internet that they naturally believe what they see online.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Articles Week 3

The Daily Mail Britain's coronavirus crisis could last until Spring 2021 with up to 8 million people - or 15% of the population...